Muchness: The innocence and imagination that appears in the hearts of young children. As children grow older, they become more mature and gain responsibilities. They lose their muchness.
--Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
It took me ages to decide on a blog name. I wasn't entirely sure where I wanted to take it, and I didn't want it to be limited to a specific topic in the future. So I decided to go with Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, which is the word you say when you don't quite know what to say. My parental units were unsupportive. Instead, I chose one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books; also a made-up word, and just as symbolic. In this wonderful story, our female protagonist has to become reacquainted with herself. She delves into the deepest part of her mind and spends the whole book trying to "become Alice." To find her muchness that had been left behind. It's brilliant. In the beginning of the book, she expresses her distaste for society and its rules. "Who's to say what's proper? What if it was agreed that ‘proper’ was wearing a codfish on your head? Would you wear it?" She eventually breaks away from the expected and begins to use made-up words because they hold more meaning, and she learns that the most authentic form of truth lies in the impossible. She finds her muchness.
Now how does this apply to my blog? I'm not entirely sure that it does. But that may be the whole point. It's nonsensical and has no limits. It's perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment