100% of the time we need to go somewhere, we are walking. Which is fine, as I enjoy walking quite a bit. But Romania is lacking when it comes to things I am accustomed to. And again, I am fine for the most part. I can live without a dryer, without vegetables at every meal, and without the products and foods from home. I can live without English speaking co-workers, and without tampons. I can even live without my sister here to get my jokes, my references, and to assure me that no, I'm not crazy. Everyone should know who Cary Grant is.
It is very possible, however, that I will not live much longer without crosswalks. We cross a street at least once every five minutes out of the two-three hours we spend walking each day. And there are no crosswalks. Everyone remembers being taught "look both ways before crossing the street"? Yeah, that's not a thing here. You just kind of go for it and hope the cars screech to a stop in enough time. Or swerve around you. It's like this, only without a lucky cricket for protection:
And to think I used to be scared of getting hit in a parking lot...
On a completely unrelated note, here are pictures from our trip to Bucharest:










No comments:
Post a Comment